It’s a magic carpet ride of nostalgia and fun! Tomorrow, Disney’s beloved masterpiece “Aladdin” arrives in a very cool “Diamond Edition” Blu-ray Combo Pack that includes Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD for the very first time. (It was released on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on Sept. 29.)
You know the story. Jafar, Grand Vizier to the Sultan of the fictional sultanate of Agrabah, attempts to retrieve a magical oil lamp containing a genie from the Cave of Wonders.
Meanwhile, Jasmine, the Sultan’s daughter, frustrated with her life in the palace, flees to Agrabah’s marketplace. There she meets Aladdin and his monkey pet, Abu, and the two form a friendship. After Jafar has Aladdin captured, Jasmine orders his release, but Jafar tricks her into thinking Aladdin was sentenced to death!
From there, it’s a wild story involving a magic carpet, an unleashed Genie, three wishes, mind control, mistaken identity and, of course, romance. And because it’s Disney, rest assured there’s a happy ending.
“Aladdin,” which won an Academy Award in 1992 for Best Original Song – “A Whole New World” – holds even more meaning now that the talented Robin Williams, who voiced The Genie, is no longer with us. This set includes never-before-seen tributes to Williams, the “genius behind the Genie.”
In addition to Williams, the voice cast includes Scott Weinger as Aladdin, Linda Larkin as Jasmine, Gilbert Gottfried as Iago, Jonathan Freeman as Jafar, Douglas Seale as Sultan and Frank Welker as Abu. There is a WHOLE lot of theater and film talent there.
Produced, written and directed by John Musker and Ron Clements, “Aladdin” was also produced by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, with Music by Alan Menken and Lyrics by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice. Aladdin” is rated G with an approximate runtime of 91 minutes.
Blu-ray and Digital Bonus Features:
- The Genie Outtakes – Robin Williams’ Genie outtakes are magically brought to life.
- Genie 101 – Host Scott Weinger (the voice of Aladdin), takes us through the various transformations of the famous (and formerly famous) celebrity references of the Genie.
- Ron & John: You Ain’t Never Had a Friend Like Me – Directors John Musker and Ron Clements discuss the experiences of their long-running partnership together at Disney.
- Aladdin: Creating Broadway Magic – Join host Darren Criss as we take “a new fantastic point of view” at the story of how Aladdin went from a classic Disney animated film to become Broadway’s smash hit with composer Alan Menken and others.
- Unboxing Aladdin – Host Joey Bragg from Disney Channel’s Liv & Maddy, explore the Easter eggs and hidden secrets of Aladdin in this unboxing video.
- Classic Bonus – ALL classic bonus from the original DVD release.
Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) Exclusive – Bonus Feature:
- Deleted Song – “My Finest Hour” – Jafar takes the stage in this never-before-seen deleted song. Includes intro from Ron and John.
DVD Bonus Features:
- Deleted Song: “Proud Of Your Boy” (Original Demo Recording)
- Deleted Song: “You Can Count On Me”
- Deleted Song: “Humiliate The Boy”
- Deleted Song: “Why Me”
- Deleted Scene: “Aladdin & Jasmine’s First Meeting”
- Deleted Scene: “Aladdin in the Lap of Luxury”
Be sure and follow “Aladdin” on social media:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyAladdin
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation
- Website: http://movies.disney.com/aladdin
- DMA App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/disney-movies-anywhere-watch