Ok, I know our motto here at Reel Life With Jane is to “Have fun. Be kind,” but sometimes things just fall in our lap that require a teensy bit of snark. It’s like they’re testing us to see how far they can go before we crack.
I’m talking about the “Charles James: Beyond Fashion” Met Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art last night, May 5, 2014, in New York City. Everyone who’s anyone was there, but not all of them looked dressed for the occasion. Yes, I realize it’s a kick-off for the “Beyond Fashion” exhibition, so we’ll take that into account.
Here are some random thoughts…
- I’m not sure what’s going on with Bradley Cooper and Sarah Jessica Parker, but it appears that he’s doing a Hugh Jackman and helping a damsel in distress.
- Bradley Cooper looks like a dashing character out of a Jane Austen novel.
- This is Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield’s world. We’re just living in it.
- Love all of the black and white gowns. Charlize Theron is a goddess. Sarah Jessica Parker looks divine.
- Anne Hathaway played it safe in her usual red. Even her expression is, “Yep, I played it safe.’
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend are so cute together. As are Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds. And Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy.
- Not a fan of Amanda Peet’s spidery gown. Can’t put my finger on it, but the odd design in the front draws the eye to the wrong spot.
- Brie Larsen has been watching too much “Star Trek” lately.
- Jessica Pare looks like she’s smiling at Don Draper. Before she dumped him, that is.
- Sandra Lee really took the “costume” part of this event literally. Yes, I realize she’s channeling the glamour of Charles James.
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard are the Clark Gable and Carole Lombard of our generation.
- Frank, I mean Ronan, looks very dashing. He’s spreading the news.
- Are Dita Von Teese and Zac Posen auditioning for a “Dracula” movie?
- I’m not generally in favor of short dresses at this event, but love the short frocks chosen by Michelle Williams and Elizabeth Olsen.
- Has anyone ever seen Kanye West smile? Smile, dude. You’ve got a beautiful fiance and adorable baby.
- Lupita Nyong’o could wear a gunny sack and look gorgeous, but she’s stunning in that green number. And speaking of which…
- Leighton Meester is wearing a gunny sack.
- I don’t really understand what Neil Patrick Harris is going for here.
- I heard that Rosie Huntington-Whitely is building an army to battle it out with Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons.
- Sarah Paulsen looks so sad. Even her dress is weeping. She’s a sad weeping willow.
- And my favorites? Rashida Jones, Katie Couric, Hayden Panettiere, Idina Menzel, Amy Adams, and definitely Lupita Nyong’o.
Click the images for larger views and sharing options, and leave thoughts below.
[justified_image_grid preset=1 thumbs_spacing=3 row_height=300 prettyphoto_social=yes caption_field=title lightbox=prettyphoto last_row=hide load_more=scroll]