I just saw “Mud” at my beloved downtown State Theatre the other day and loved it. The movie is coming to blu-ray and DVD (both include Digital UltraViolet) and Pay-Per-View on August 6, 2013, with an early Video on Demand window beginning July 16.
‘Mud” has kind of a moody “Stand By Me” vibe, because two amazing young actors play the pivotal characters. Teenager Ellis (Tye Sheridan, “The Tree of Life”) and his best friend Neckbone (Jacob Lofland) discover a mysterious man named Mud (Matthew McConaughey) hiding out on a deserted island in the Mississippi River.
The landscape is another character in this movie, because you can practically feel the heat and humidity oozing off the screen. And there’s snakes! And a boat in a tree!
Mud tells the boys fantastic stories about his life, including how he once killed a man in Texas and how vengeful bounty hunters are now hunting him. He says he’s planning to meet and escape with the love of his life, Juniper (Reese Witherspoon), who’s waiting for him in town.
Skeptical but intrigued, Ellis and Neckbone agree to help him, but it isn’t long until Mud’s tall-tales spring to life and their small town is besieged by bounty hunters out for blood.
Other players include Sam Shepard (“Black Hawk Down”), Michael Shannon (“The Iceman”; Paula Schwartz wrote about it here), Joe Don Baker (“Walking Tall”), Ray McKinnon (“Sons of Anarchy”), and Sarah Paulson (HBO’s “Game Change”).
Written and directed by Jeff Nichols (“Take Shelter,” “Shotgun Stories”) and nominated for the prestigious Palme d’Or at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, the “Mud” blu-ray and DVD contain an audio commentary and multiple featurettes that examine numerous aspects of the making of the film. Here’s a rundown:
BLU-RAY/DVD SPECIAL FEATURES*
- Audio commentary with Writer/Director Jeff Nichols
- “A Very Personal Tale: Writing and Directing “Mud” featurette
- “The Arkansas Ensemble: The Distinctive Characters and Cast of “Mud” featurette
- “Southern Authenticity: Shooting the Real Arkansas” featurette
- “The Snake Pit: The Slithering Costars of “Mud” featurette
*Subject to change
- Year of Production: 2012
- Title Copyright: “Mud” 2012 Everest Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Artwork 2013 Roadside Attractions LLC. Supplementary Materials 2013 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- Type: Limited Theatrical Release
- Rating: PG-13 for some violence, sexual references, language, thematic elements and smoking
- Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
- Blu-ray Closed Captioned: English SDH
- DVD Closed Captioned: English
- Subtitles: English and Spanish
- Feature Running Time: 30 minutes
- Blu-ray Format: 1080p High Definition 16×9 Widescreen (2.35:1)
- DVD Format: 16×9 Widescreen (2.35:1)
- Blu-ray Audio Status: 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio and 5.1 Spanish Dolby Digital
- DVD Audio Status: English and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital