I absolutely loved The Finest Hours when it hit theaters back in January (read my review here), and the bonus features on the new Blu-ray Combo Pack build on the awesomeness of the film.
The movie is based on the extraordinary real-life story of the greatest small-boat rescue in Coast Guard history. It takes place in 1952, when a massive winter storm strikes off the coast of Cape Cod, ripping a T-2 oil tanker in half and trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly sinking stern.
When word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard, four men led by Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine) set out in a 12-seat boat on a daring mission to rescue the stranded men, braving freezing cold, 60-foot waves and hurricane-force winds – all guided by Webber’s vow that “We all live, or we all die.”
Directed by Craig Gillespie, The Finest Hours also stars Casey Affleck, Ben Foster, Holliday Grainger, John Ortiz and Eric Bana, and is based on the non-fiction book of the same name by Casey Sherman and Michael J. Tougias. The bonus features include an all-new documentary, “Against All Odds: The Bernie Webber Story,” in which real-life residents of Chatham recall the events that set the stage for the film’s historic rescue mission; four making-of featurettes highlighting cast members experiences and reflections by members of the U.S. Coast Guard; as well as two never-before-seen deleted scenes.
Let’s take a closer look at the bonus features:
Blu-ray Combo Pack, Digital HD, Digital SD, Disney Movies Anywhere
- Against All Odds: The Bernie Webber Story – Visit the quaint and close-knit town of Chatham, and experience the events surrounding the most heroic Coast Guard rescue ever through the eyes of the people who witnessed them.
- BROTHERHOOD – Cast members reflect on the bonds they forged during the shoot.
- TWO CREWS – Chris Pine and Casey Affleck share insights into Bernie Webber and Ray Sybert, men who led their respective crews against all odds.
- WHAT IS YOUR FINEST HOUR? – A Coast Guard member recounts an incredible rescue.
- THE FINEST INSPIRATION: THE U.S. COAST GUARD – Meet the people who put their lives on the line for others.
- DELETED SCENES – A Desperate Idea, The Story of How They Met
- THE FINEST INSPIRATION: THE U.S. COAST GUARD
*Bonus Features may vary by retailer
THE FINEST HOURS – DISC SPECS:
- Feature Run Time: Approximately 117 min.
- Rating: PG-13 in U.S.; PG in CE; G in CF
- Aspect Ratio: Blu-ray Feature Film: 1080p High Definition / 2.39:1; DVD: Feature Film = 2.39:1
- Audio: Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, French-Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital; DVD: 5.1 Dolby Digital (English, French, & Spanish), English 2.0 DVS Dolby Digital
- Languages/Subtitles: English, English SDH, French & Spanish
ABOUT DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE (DMA):
Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) is an engaging and family-friendly cloud-based digital movie service that makes it simple to buy your favorite Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars movies once and watch them anywhere. With DMA you can explore Disney’s library of over 450 eligible digital movies, discover hours of new and exclusive short-form content, and watch your digital movies from the comfort of the living room or across multiple mobile devices. Using the free DMA apps and website, you can connect your DMA account with participating providers including iTunes, Amazon Video, VUDU, Microsoft Movies and TV and Google Play and unlock access your eligible movie collections across platforms and devices – iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV/Airplay, Amazon’s Fire tablets, Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Microsoft Movies and TV service on Windows and Microsoft Xbox devices, Android mobile and tablet devices and Android TV, Chromecast and the Roku® platform. In addition, you can redeem Digital Copy codes found in Disney, Pixar and Marvel Blu-rays and DVDs, as well as earn Disney Movie Rewards points with every digital purchase.