There are no special features with the DVD release, but the 2-Disc Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD release includes the following special features:
- Tyson Motion Comic (5 min, 50 sec): A cool semi-animated piece featuring Percy’s one eyed half brother.
- Deconstructing a Demigod (4 min, 11 sec): Brief interviews with the cast and crew, offering an equally brief overview of the film.
- Back to Camp Half-Blood (2 min, 39 sec): Focuses on the camaraderie among the young cast.
- It’s All In the Eye (5 min): Information on the cyclops visual effects for Tyson.
- Theatrical Trailer 1 (2 min, 25 sec)
- Theatrical Trailer 2 (2 min, 12 sec)
Sex/Nudity: Some discussion of how the gods have children with humans and other creatures. Percy and Annabeth aren’t romantic, but they do protect each other and share a few lingering looks.
Violence/Gore: Fantasy action includes a flashback of a young girl being killed by a cyclops and then turned into the roots of a magical tree. A giant Colchis Bull wreaks havoc on Camp Half Blood, where it injures several kids before fighting with Percy and Tyson. Several fight scenes between Percy and his friends and the bad guys. Polyphemus, a huge cyclops, threatens to eat either satyrs or half bloods; he fights with Percy, Annabeth, Grover, and Tyson. When he’s brought back to life, Kronos is somewhat frightening. Two characters are presumed dead, and one temporarily dies before being revived by the golden fleece.
Profanity: Includes a few instances of “damn,” and one interrupted “bitch.”
Which Kids Will Like It? Kids 9 and older who liked the first “Percy Jackson” movies or the books by Rick Riordan.
Will Parents Like It? “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters” is a solid PG movie.
JANE’S REEL RATING SYSTEM:
One Reel – Even the Force can’t save it.
Two Reels – Coulda been a contender
Three Reels – Something to talk about.
Four Reels – You want the truth? Great flick!
Five Reels – Wow! The stuff dreams are made of.