- All Stories
- DVD BluRay
- Stream OnDemand
Back to School time is here – yes, again! It keeps coming around every year without fail.
Good time to think about GREEN ways to make that leap into the school year, and what better way than to tie it in with the Aug. 20 release of “Epic,” one of my favorite family movies of the year.
But first, hop over and enter to win the “Epic” 2-Disc DVD, Blu-ray and Digital Copy!
Back yet? Ok, here we go.
Start the new school year off right with these ten tips from the “Epic” Leafmen for going green and having an EPIC school year:
1. Take Inventory. Before heading to the store for supplies, take inventory of what items are left over from last year. Shopping for school can be exciting with all of the bright, fun items, but remember what you came for and don’t buy unnecessary items that will go to waste.
2. Think Before You Buy. When you’ve reduced your list of school supplies to the necessities, think about what you buy. Look for pens and pencils that can be refilled or supplies that are made from recycled products. Read the labels and make smart decisions to help preserve the magic of Moonhaven!
3. Get Creative. In “Epic,” Queen Tara wears a gorgeous dress made from flower petals and leaves. You can get creative like her by changing the style of your backpack. Instead of purchasing a new bag every year, have a craft day and let your kids change up their bag with patches, paint, or other supplies.
4. Go Green There and Back. Think about ways to decrease the pollutants created by getting to and from school each day. If your child’s school has a busing system, let them take the bus with their neighborhood friends each day. For older kids who live close to school, walking or biking each day not only provides them with exercise, but also eliminates any pollution from cars.
5. Organize a Clothes Swap. The Leafmen made their own clothes and armor from natural products to help protect the environment. Consider arranging a clothing swap party with some of your kids’ friends. Everyone will walk away with new clothes and a happy conscience when they realize they are helping the environment.
6. Carpool With Other Parents. The end of the day can be quite hectic as you run around dropping kids off at various after school activities. Save your sanity and the earth by setting up a carpool schedule with other parents. Bonus: your kids will love the extra time with their friends.
7. Invest in Reusable Lunch Containers. When packing lunch for your little ones, keep the residents of Moonhaven on your mind. Invest in reusable water bottles, lunch boxes, and food containers. The kids will probably have tons of fun picking out lunch supplies with fun patterns and themes.
8. Make Eco-Friendly Snacks and Lunches. The packaging isn’t the only part of lunch you can change to become more green. Send healthy, eco-friendly snacks and lunches with your little ones each day. Things like local, organic fruits and veggies are a great addition to your kids’ lunch.
9. Organize a Classroom Recycling Program. Find out if your school already has a recycling program in place. If they don’t, take a stand and help set one up for each classroom. If recycling is already part of the plan, be sure to let your kids know the benefits of recycling so they’ll participate.
10. Buy Used Books. Look online for gently used books or visit a local bookstore. This tip benefits students from grade school through college, when textbooks get extra expensive.
Have other green, back-to-school tips to share? Let us know in the comments below.Tags: back to school, environmental movies, epic, family movies, top ten