“Call the Midwife” is one of my favorite shows of the past couple years, and this week’s giveaway is a prize pack of goodness for fans of the critically acclaimed BBC/PBS series, which hits DVD & Blu-ray tomorrow.
Based on the bestselling memoir by Jennifer Worth, “Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times,” and dramatized into a TV series by Heidi Thomas, the TV series follows Jenny Lee (Jessica Raine), a young midwife in the 1950s in London’s working class East End, providing the poorest women with the best possible care.
Season two continues the story of the hard-working midwives of Nonnatus House as they serve the crowded tenements and slums of Poplar. As they struggle with the challenges of poverty, domestic abuse and the spectre of tuberculosis, the midwives also face crises of their own. A chance encounter reunites Jenny with Jimmy; Chummy and P.C. Noakes face a dilemma over their imminent future; a tragic birth puts Cynthia in the spotlight, and Trixie enjoys an all-too-tantalizing taste of celebrity lifestyle.
Back at Nonnatus House, Sister Julienne struggles to keep the beleaguered convent on an even keel as dementia-stricken Sister Monica Joan finds comfort in the friendship of new orderly, Jane; Sister Bernadette experiences a spiritual crisis and Sister Evangelina puts her foot down regarding pain relief. The cast also includes Miranda Hart, Jenny Agutter, Pam Ferris and Judy Parfitt.
“Call the Midwife” isn’t just about the midwives, though. It’s a history lesson about an era on the brink of great change, one that’s drastically different from the world we live in now – and yet, it wasn’t that long ago. I think people yearn for a time when people were the focal point, not gadgets and techie stuff. Much as I love my devices, I know I do.
1) “Call the Midwife: Season Two” on DVD. The 3-disc, 355-minute set from BBC Home Entertainment includes all eight episodes, as well as the 2012 Christmas Special and interviews with the cast and crew.
2) The hardcover book, “The Life and Times of ‘Call the Midwife’: The Official Companion to Seasons One and Two.” This beautifully bound book includes 288 pages of gorgeous photos, a behind-the-scenes look at the era-appropriate set decorations, thoughtful reminiscences of Jennifer Worth (the real-life midwife whose memoirs inspired the series), and an intimate look at what’s involved in bringing these characters and stories to life on the TV series.
HOW TO ENTER:
As usual, you have lots of ways to enter! Choose any or all of those listed below. For EACH entry, be sure to leave a comment below.
1) Leave a comment on this post, telling us why you love “Call the Midwife.”
2) Subscribe to the Reel Life With Jane weekly newsletter in the sidebar widget on this page.
3) Tweet This:
Win a @CalltheMidwife1 Prize Pack: Season 2 DVD & Companion Book @reellifejane http://bit.ly/127pUPH #Sweepstakes #contest
4) Share the contest on your other social networks, like Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, wherever! Remember to leave a comment below for each share.
The Contest ends Sunday, June 30, 2013 at midnight ET. Good luck!