The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced yesterday that 11 live action short films will advance in the voting process for the 85th Academy Awards, airing Sun., Feb. 24, 2013 on ABC from the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center.
Initially, 125 pictures qualified in this category category, and it’s been narrowed to 11. Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select three to five nominees from these titles.
- A Fábrica (The Factory), Aly Muritiba, director (Grafo Audiovisual)
- Asad, Bryan Buckley, director, and Mino Jarjoura, producer (Hungry Man)
- Buzkashi Boys, Sam French, director, and Ariel Nasr, producer (Afghan Film Project)
- Curfew, Shawn Christensen, director (Fuzzy Logic Pictures)
- Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw), Tom Van Avermaet, director, and Ellen De Waele, producer (Serendipity Films)
- Henry, Yan England, director (Yan England)
- Kiruna-Kigali, Goran Kapetanovic, director (Hepp Film AB)
- The Night Shift Belongs to the Stars, Silvia Bizio and Paola Porrini Bisson, producers (Oh! Pen LLC)
- 9meter, Anders Walther, director, and Tivi Magnusson, producer (M & M Productions A/S)
- Salar, Nicholas Greene, director, and Julie Buck, producer (Nicholas Greene)
- when you find me, Ron Howard, executive producer, and Bryce Dallas Howard, director (Freestyle Picture Company)
Oscar nominations will be announced live on Thurs., Jan. 10, 2013, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
If any distributors would like to send a review copy to Jane Boursaw, 12875 Bluff Rd., Traverse City, MI 49686, we’d be happy to write up reviews.