Disney announced yesterday that they’re purchasing Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion dollars. Lucasfilm was 100% wholly-owned by George Lucas until the announcement.
I don’t blame George Lucas for doing it. He’s close to 70 now and darn it, the man should enjoy his retirement. The acquisition by Disney guarantees Lucas will get half of that $4 billion in cash (and likely a lifetime pass to all the Disney theme parks and a front-of-the-line pass for Star Wars movies).
He’ll get to use that pass in 2015, when Disney promises to roll out a new Star Wars film, with new films every two or three years (until they run it into the ground and exhaust the franchise – think Mighty Ducks), though Lucas will neither write nor direct them.
This could be good if it’s in the vein of A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back, or it could be bad if it follows The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones.
But $4 billion is a ridiculous amount, right? Considering Disney bought Pixar for $7.6 billion, this was a steal.
When I saw this headline on various news feeds yesterday, frankly, my brain started churning. Of course, there are already quite a few Disney-Lucasfilm mashups already online. Here are some favorites along with some originals by yours truly:
- Help me, Bob Iger, you’re my only hope.
- Sell out, George Lucas did
- Photoshop of Mickey Mouse saying to Luke Skywalker – “Luke, I am your father!”
- Millenium Falcon? Millenium Disco Duck
- Will Princess Leia be a Disney Princess? She already has a miniature sidekick with R2-D2
- Snow White and the Seven Ewoks
- 101 Stormtroopers with Darth Vader as Cruella de Vil
- The Secret Life of a Hoth Taun Taun
- When You Wish Upon a Death Star
- Finding Greedo
- Song of the Sith
- Lando and the Tramp
- Snow White and the Seven Droids
- The Princess Leia Diaries
- Emperor Palpatine’s New Groove
- The Wookiee
- Beauty and the Boba Fett
- Lilo & Sith
- The Fox and the Han Solo
- Droid Story
- Jabba the Pooh
- Bambi Wan Kenobi
- Chitty Chitty Death Star
- That’s So Vader
- Honey, I Shrunk the Death Star
Personally, I hope they will re-create the Mos Eisley Cantina at EPCOT or create a Star Wars themed resort. I’m enough of a sucker that I would stay there.
What do you think of the merger, and what’s your favorite Disney Lucasfilm mashup?