I always love seeing emails come through from Julien’s Auctions, an auction house that handles a lot of Hollywood items. This morning, they sent notice that a black crepe cocktail dress worn by Marilyn Monroe to a 1958 party at the Beverly Hills Hotel sold for $348,000.
My husband: “Did she wear it in a movie?”
Me: “No, she wore it to a party.”
That’s just amazing to me. I know things like this are really collectible, and it would be cool to have a dress worn by Marilyn Monroe, but to pay that much for it? Someone has a lot of extra cash sitting around.
Other hot items from the movie goddess:
- Marilyn Monroe swimsuit with MGM label sold for $84,000
- Collection of original negatives and transparencies taken by Harold Davidson sold for $72,000
- Umbrella from the 1949 photo shoot with Andre de Dienes on Tobey/Jones Beach sold for $18,000
Other highlights of the Hollywood Legends Auction 2011:
- Straw hat with green, orange and yellow sheer fabric worn by Audrey Hepburn in the 1957 film ‘Funny Face’ sold for $16,250,
- Zorro signed Rapier also sold for $16,250,
- Griffin throne used by Elizabeth Taylor in the 1963 film ‘Cleopatra’ sold for $6,875 (see, now I would have thought that’d fetch a little more cash)
- Frank Sinatra original painting depicting a poker table and signed by the legendary actor sold for $37,500
- Marlon Brando Golden Globe statuette awarded to Marlon Brando in 1972 for his role in ‘The Godfather’ sold for $23,750
- Bruce Lee signed selective service card and photograph sold for $20,000
- Gold tone ring seen in the final scene of ‘Schindler’s List’ as Ben Kingsley’s character, Itzhak Stern, gives the ring to Liam Neeson’s character, Oskar Schindler sold for $13,750
If you had unlimited amounts of cash, would you spend it on collectible Hollywood items?